I prepare tomato rice in two ways. I have already posted tomato rice long time back using tomato puree, this version is slightly spicier than my earlier version. Call this tomato pulao or biryani or bhath or South Indian style spicy tomato rice, the end product is very delicious and is literally a breeze to make.You can pair it up with a simple raita/pachadi or just have it with potato chips. It is great for packed lunch also.
» How to make Tomato rice
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 30 mins
Recipe Category: Rice Dish-Lunch/Dinner
» Main Ingredients:
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 2 medium size
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Ripe juicy tomatoes - 4 (medium size)
Green chillies - 2 slit (small ones)
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder - 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder -1/2 tsp (optional)
Mint leaves - handful chopped finely
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Salt as needed
1. Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamon. Fry for a few seconds and then add thinly sliced onions.
2. Saute till onions become slightly golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes.
3. Then add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, green chillies, mint leaves, half of coriander leaves, salt (approximately 2 tsp and little more) needed and garam masala powder. Cook till tomatoes become mushy.
4. Add the drained rice, 2 cups of hot water,(check for salt now by tasting the water) and transfer it to a container and pressure cook for 3 whistles.When the pressure subsides, open it and fluff it with a fork. Garnish with the remaining coriander leaves.
5. If using rice cooker, transfer the contents to a rice cooker, switch on and cook till done.
6. Check out my earlier version of tomato rice using tomato puree.